Many people watch Downton Abbey and view the Butler/Majordomo, depicted as Mr. Carson, as having a stiff upper lip, seen-and-not-heard but also confident. These characteristics are still sought after today.
Ideal Butlers currently possess:
- Certifications from an accredited butlering school or a hospitality management university
- Valet skills
- Staff training and vendor management skills
- HR experience
- Previous house management experience
- Firm understanding of social etiquette and hospitality to the principals and guests
- Attention to detail
- Food and beverage skills, including wine training certification
- Tech savviness
- Inventorying and storage management skills
- Knowledge of current cleaning practices
- Cooking skills
- Caring for fine furnishings
- Can arrange flowers
- Make travel arrangements
- Document principal and guest preferences
- Drive client’s family and friends
- Act as a companion
- Manage senior care
- Project management
- Act as an art curator
- Setup and monitoring of contractor agreement service contracts
- Storage and maintenance of car collections or unique collections specific to each client.
Depending on the size and structure of the home, the Butler usually works closest with the principals and can be a great asset to a home or corporate office.
At IDC we also offer training and support for your existing staff on environmentally safe cleaning practices, preventative maintenance, and support regarding management of select tasks. Contact Peter O'Donovan to learn more about our concierge services...